The Holocaust Education Committee of the Quad City Area (HEC) exists to promote a higher awareness of the Holocaust as a unique historical event with universal implications for today.
1. To educate the Quad City community in greater depth about the Holocaust and the many lessons it can provide.
2. To raise awareness of materials and human resources available locally to Iowa and Illinois teachers who cover the Holocaust.
3. To support Illinois teachers in fulfilling the Illinois mandate to teach the Holocaust (known as House Bill 3, effective Jan. 1, 1990).
4. To inspire Iowa teachers to include the Holocaust in their curricula and Iowa legislators to draft and pass legislation mandating Holocaust education in Iowa.
5. To inform prospective social studies and language arts teachers in their college programs regarding how they might include the Holocaust in future teaching assignments.